Friday, September 01, 2006

Nothing new in Libya

On Aug. 29, the Bulgarian nurses and Palestinian doctor accused in intentionally infecting Libyan children with HIV appeared before the court for Nth time. The prosecutor said that evidence and confessions were present and demanded death sentences, again. No one of the witnesses called by the defense was present. It turned out that at least some of them were not subpoenated by the prosecutor and this made their presence optional (source, in Bulgarian: http://news.netinfo.bg/?tid=40&oid=928965).
So, if you are a defendant in Libya, you'll have in court witnesses whose testimony could prove your innocence only if there is goodwill in the prosecutor, i.e. the person who wants you either in jail with maximum term or at the gallows.
I guess, possibly some defense witnesses would still appear and speak if the defendants were their fellow Libyans. But now they think, "It may be my duty to speak, because I know these people are innocent. But I don't feel like getting into trouble for them. Unlike me, they had the luck to be free and what did they do? They came here to work for one of the nastiest dictators on Earth because he offered them higher salaries. No, I prefer not to risk my ass."
Two days later, Qaddafi, the Q-man, called in another blog "the man with 72 name spellings who has ruled for 36 years" (http://www.ordoesitexplode.com/me/2006/08/holy_st_qaddafi.html) gave a speech to mark his 37th year in power. Its most important moments are summarized at http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060831/wl_nm/libya_gaddafi_dc. Qaddafi said those who hope for political change in Libya see its people as "ignorant and immature." "Our enemies have been crushed inside Libya and you have to be ready to kill them if they emerge anew," he said. Qaddafi also advised poor Libyans how to improve their well-being: by setting up oil services companies to replace foreign firms in the country.
The same source says, "Opponents abroad had said they hoped that Gaddafi might hint at political change in Thursday's speech. His influential son Saif al-Islam recently told Libyans their country was in a political impasse and needed reforms to free it from what he called the grip of "Libyan mafia" which monopolizes power and wealth." Personally, I have never been impressed by Saif al-Islam's reformist-like talk. The game of bad cop, good cop is too transparent.
Qaddafi was briefly shown on our TV delivering his speech and I said to my husband that I cannot decide whether this man is really mad or just pretending to be mad. He replied, "Of course he is mad. Just look at his hair. Any sane person would pass a comb through it before appearing in public."
So Libyans have the task to keep watch and if their (i.e. Qaddafi's) enemies emerge anew, to kill them. The method of recognizing the enemies and the procedure of killing remain unspecified.

6 comments:

Maya M said...

Thank you, Winston! Actually, while writing, I was thinking also about Iran. Like Libya, it has a dictator about whom people argue whether he is really mad or just pretending, good cops (the guys who, you complained, invariably end up in the USA sucking taxpayers' money) and internal enemies whom the regime wants crushed.
But in Iran, despite the years of repressions, the "internal enemies" still make their voice heard. Iran may have as bad government as Libya (if there is a difference, it is visible only to experts), but it has stronger and better opposition. And I think this is important.

Maya M said...

Thank you, Myriam. No, I'm not a journalist, I'm a biologist. I intend to put a link to my workplace any time soon.

Highlander said...

"Iran may have as bad government as Libya (if there is a difference, it is visible only to experts), but it has stronger and better opposition. And I think this is important. "

Yes this is important and to know why I recommend you read the book a History of Modern Libya ( which I linked to in my blog). Seriously Maya - you will find there asnwered to many of the attitudes you aer wondering about.

Highlander said...

pls excuse the typos :)

Maya M said...

Highlander, even if I had this book, there is little chance for me to read it in the foreseeable future, because I guess it's a thick one. I'm now trying Sagan's "Cosmos", something I had longed to read for months, and it still seems that my son will destroy it before I come to the end. But you may put abstracts from the book as posts and comments here and there for us to read, when relevant!

Highlander said...

Actually Maya it is only 246 pages :)